There is one drawback to working from home and that is that I am responsible for my own surroundings. If I worked in a corporate office, it would be cleaned during the night – I would never lay eyes on cleaners and it would just magically appear clean all the time. However, the benefits of doing my own thing far outweigh this one benefit. Now you might ask me why a clean office is so important and why on earth I am blogging about that on a health blog and how a cluttered office relates to healthy eating tips
. Well, it’s simple really. When my office environment is cluttered and untidy, I cannot focus. The same thing happens inside your body.
But that’s not all – your surroundings affect how your body processes the food you put into it too.
Here are a few healthy eating tips for the best eating, digesting and healthy living experience when it comes to your food, environment and health.
Healthy Eating Tip #1: Relax before you eat
Healthy Eating Tip #2: Savor the flavor
When you sit down to eat, take it easy and enjoy every morsel. Chew everything thoroughly before you swallow to help it digest more easily.
Healthy Eating Tip #3: Savor the moment
Eat in a clean environment that is free from distractions and clutter. No TV, telephone and (note to self:) no computer and no newspaper or magazine.
Healthy Eating Tip #4: Watch your portions
Eating too much does more harm than just stuffing your face – it also overburdens your digestive system. Instead of eating faster when you are in a hurry, eat smaller portions, ensuring that you chew your food properly. If you often rush your meals, you may want to consider one or two meals with a protein shake
Healthy Eating Tip #5 All food groups are important
And so are the different tastes and textures. Thus, ensure that you eat all the different types of foods from all the food groups. Even fats and sugars, leavy greens and boring grains have their place in your picture of good health.
If you really can’t stand the thought of a certain food type, consider using a meal replacement
when the family eats that particular meal. This will work for people who have food allergies too.
Healthy Eating Tip #6: How NOT to eat
- Junk food tastes good, but not as good as fresh food prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients.
- Tea, coffee and sugar do nothing good for your health, but it depletes important minerals and slows down many bodily processes, much like smoking does.
- Frozen fruits and vegetables are not as healthy as fresh or dried ones and tinned usually means “carcinogen rich and nutrient depleted”.
- Oils and spices kill the flavor of your food. Rather use olive or peanut oil and flavor your food with fresh herbs, garlic, herbal or Himalayan salt to add flavor.
Healthy Eating Tip #7: When enough is enough
When you leave the table you should not feel full. You should feel satisfied that you enjoyed a meal, but not stuffed, loosening your buttons. If you still feel hungry, give yourself at least 20 minutes before enjoying a glass of water or a small fruit.
Bonus Healthy Eating Tip for People Wanting To Lose Weight
- Brush your teeth immediately after dinner – that way it will seem like too much effort to go brush them again if you snack later on.
Your body will thank you for taking these healthy eating tips into account. And if you do the cooking in your home, so will your family.