There is no denying the benefits of regular exercise. It is heart healthy, muscle strengthening and great for body-mind health. However, most of us are unable to fit in regular exercise. It’s hard enough to find the time, but mustering up the motivation may seem impossible. That’s why many experts advise on making fitness a family activity.
As our priorities change, it becomes harder to fit in exercise and that’s why it’s important to plan properly. Changing our priorities to fitness over unhealthy activities turns them into quality family time. Exercise is good for the whole family – it’s fun and it keeps the whole family healthy. Additionally, everyone can bond over sore muscles in the first week or so. Most importantly, it helps the children to develop good habits early on. Sports psychologists agree that exercising together as a family has a positive impact on our lifestyles.
[No energy to exercise? This will help the whole family be energized and hydrated for good health]
A short 30 minute workout, three times a week, is a great start and will result in increased stamina and energy. You don’t need to follow a complicated exercise program. It can be something simple, such as walking to the store to buy the newspaper or fruit. It needs to be fun and enjoyable and works best when incorporated with an outing or excursion.
Exercise is good for your marriage
Not only is it good for a couple to exercise together for their health, but it has two other excellent benefits:
- Exercising together will help keep you both committed to the workout.
- Exercising together gives you both something to work on together, strengthening your relationship.
Here are some great family / couple exercise options
- Swimming develops healthy hearts, arms, legs and upper bodies. It is calming and burns a lot of calories.
- Gym memberships offer you discounted family rates with activities for the whole family. From fitness centers to weight lifting, boxing, Zumba and Yoga to activities for kids, they have it all.
- Horseback Riding helps to work out your core, bum, legs, shoulders, neck and more… Apart from this, it is a great activity for children with psychological, neurological and behavioral issues. It is also an excellent way to teach young children to balance properly.
- Hiking is probably the easiest exercise of all for able-bodied families. It can be done almost anywhere and anytime. Even better than walking, mountain climbing burns about twice the amount of calories. The added benefit is that the fresh air is a great healer for the soul.
There you go. A list of great new year’s resolutions for us all…